- 5 cloves garlic
- 160g nuts (any single or combination of macadamias, cashews, pine nuts)
- 1 large bunch English Spinach, roots trimmed, washed well, and roughly chopped
- 1 large bunch in-season herbs, washed and roots trimmed (use coriander, basil, parsley etc)*
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice (or white vinegar if you don’t have any fresh lemons)
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fine-grain iodised salt
*when i say large, I mean at least 3 packs of what you buy in the plastic sleeves from the supermarket. Head to the weekend farmers markets to get the best value and freshness when it comes to herbs!
- First blitz the garlic in a high-powered blender / food processor
- Next add the nuts – blitz to a rough dirt texture
- Now add your English Spinach and fresh herbs, and blitz again. You might need to scrape down the sides of the blender to make sure the stems get adequately blended
- Next is the liquid – add both the olive oil and the lemon juice, and also the salt. Process your mixture til you have a texture you like. If it seems too thick, add more olive oil or lemon juice – depending on what flavour you like. I like mine quite tangy so the lemon juice tends to win out! You could also just add a little water.
- Store in an airtight container for at least 2 weeks. Perfect as a base for pizza, as a spread on sandwich or wrap, or for dipping with vege sticks. Yum!